Holiday House Rental Advantages and Tips
In Koh Samui you can rent holiday homes, appartments, bungalows or villas in a large variety of regions, localities, views, interior, sizes an prices. Renting a small house is starting from 200 Euros or 300 US $ per month while you can pay for a luxury villa easily the same price per day.
At Samuifinder we offer you the largest selection of houses in Samui to rent online.
A holiday home rental in Samui has many advantages:
- More space: You have much more living space in a house while the rent is often much cheaper a hotel room in case you rent a house for some weeks.
- More privacy: Feel free and private just like at home!
- More tranquility: In a holiday house or appartment you often have more tranquility than staying in a hotel room.
- Save money: Holiday houses or appartements are mostly cheaper as a hotel room if rented for some weeks or a months. It is even true if you add the costs for a motor bike or even a car rental. You save the most if you rent a house as a familiy or a group.
- Cooking by yourself: If you eat out in Samui food and drinks are cheap, delicious and you will find all local and international styles of dishes or tastes offered. But it is also fun shopping fresh food at the local food market and supermarket to cook for yourself at home or inveite friends. Or you just want to have your own european or english breakfast at home on your own style. This is nothing you can really do in your hotel room. And you do not have to sneak off to your hotel room avoiding the looks of the hotel porter in order to refill the mini-fridge in your hotel room with candies, nuts and drinks from the super market so you save the overpriced bills.
Tips for Samui holiday home rentals
- Book your holiday home early. In Koh Samui, Thailand holiday houses are in high demand - especially in the peak season around christmas and the high seasons in winter, early spring and in summer. Here the nicest and best valued holiday hosues are often booked out which is also true for hotels. However, due to our large offer we will find for you a good holiday home, appartment or bungalow also at a very late date or even at arrival time. Just ask us at the house section of Samuifinder.
- Price and information advantage. We offer not only the largest but also a fair priced variety of house offers to rent in Samui. Most of the houses offered at Samuifinder cannot be found elsewhere online for search or booking. Therefore you also receive a market information advantage at Samuifinder.
- Rent a motor bike or a car.
It os definitively worthwhile to rent a motorbike or a car - especially if you rent a house. We can help you with a bike or car rental in Samui - prices start with only 150 Baht (about 3,70 Euro, 5 US $) per day for a bike or daily 800 Baht (about 20 Euro or 30 US $) for a jeep. For your request and a price quote just use our online-form.
- Thai prepaid-card for your mobile phone. Mobile phone calls using a mobile card from home can cost a fortune. Better get a Thai prepaid card in the next supermarket like 7/11 or mobile shop in Samui for little money as 400 Baht and let them be placed in your mobile phone. By this you not only phone or get phoned by friends at home at much better rates. Also phone calls within Thailand will be low-priced and you can phone with your travel partners in case you are seperated.
- Security for holiday houes. Burglary is not usual for houses in Samui. However do not leave valuable, credit cards, money or passport unwatched in your house. A travel insurance can include an insurance of contents.
- When to use the AirCon. You will save money if you switch off your aircon or switch it to a higher temperature when leaving the house for some hours or more. Otherwise you waste electricity power consumption you mostly have to pay extra from the rent. Mostly the rooms cool down again in the house within minutes after coming back and switching the aircon to "on".
- Electric kettle. A good cup of the or coffee is a nice thing before leaving the house in the morning. Have a look that your house is equipped with an electric kettle. Otherwise please contact us or the landlord.
- Cooking with gas. The usual concept for holiday houses in Samui is that prices in restaurants and in the streets are so low that tourist don't want to cook at home anyway. Normally the concept is right as most tourists want to have holidays, want to be served and not cook at home. If you want to cook yourself you should watch that the house to be rent has a gas cooker. The Thai cooking technique is wok oriented. Mostly one or two gas flames will be sufficient. Cooking with gas is much more fun than with an electric stoves and more reliable in Samui where power can sometimes get lower in peak hours. The gas is supplied low cost by gas bottles. One bottle can last for a longer time but has to be exchanged sometimes. A number of shops offer replacement bottles.
- Drinking water. In Thailand and also in Samui you should beware to drink water from the tap in general! You find mineral water in all supermarkets in plastic bottles in sizes from 0,5 up to 5 litres. As usual the largest water bottles are the best bargain. However Thais normally buy their water in large canisters starting from 20 litres onwards. This is far cheaper then even the 5 litre water canisters. The cans are either delivered by lorries also recollecting the empty cans. Or are fetched in shops on the street and drive them home your on by car. In case you stay for a longer time in a house it may be wise to organize drinking water in the large cans.
- Shopping for food and drinks. In Samui you will find quite a numer of small super markets like „7/11“. Here you find cooled drinks, sweets, snacks, household articles or prepaid card for mobile phones, alkohol and cigarettes. But you will get better prices in Samui and more selection if you shop in large supermarkets like Tesco. If you look for fresh fruits and vegetables you should however better look at the local markets. They also sell fish and meat which do not yet fully meet western hygiene standards due to the flies.
- Fresh fish and sea food. Apart from Tesco shopping center the fish market in Hua Thanon is the real hot spot to get fresh fish and sea food. This is the place the gourmet restaurants of Samui are buying: You can choose from extremely fresh products - especially in the morning when the fishermen arrive in the harbour nearby. Please keep in mind that cultivated sea food and fish from fish farms are at least partly heavily injected by pharmaceutical or chemical additives to let fish and shrimps grow extremely fast. This might not be the healthiest way to eat and grow yourself although the fish and shrimps are cheaper. To be on the safe side you should prefer undistrubed sea water fish and seafood outside from farms. You recognize shrimps from farms because they have much thinner shells due to artificial growing substances. You can also ask the people at the market stands about their different products.
- Healthfood shops. In the mean time also healthfood shops are spreading in Samui - the products come from wholefood-projects in thailand which partly are supportet by the kings family or are imported.
- Wine and liquor shops. Imported wine and liquour is more expensive due to high import taxes. Still you find some shops specialized also on wine and in the beach roads of Lamai and Chaweng. Also at Tesco you find quite a selection of imported wines and liquors. Cheaper products are of lower qualities howerver due to import taxes. You could also buy and try a bottle of wine from the hills in the north of Thailand where they now also grow wine since some years.
Tips for little "Pets" in your Samui-Home
- Moscitos. There is no malaria known in Samui since a number of years. However moscitos exist. The moscito conditions are very diverse and vary according to seasons, weather conditions, localities and times of the day. Often one stays totally undisturbed. Sometimes however you get a clear tendency to act against moscitos. You can buy mosquito repellents in all pharamacies or drugstores. To avoid stinges while dreaming on your terrace in the evening take anti-mosquito-spirals. They really are effective. You incend them with a lighter until they start to glow. You get these spirals in pharmacies, drugstores or supermarkets.
- Ants. Holiday houses are normally free of ants. However you should pack all rests of food, fruits, etc. in your fridge or pack them in closed glases or plastic boses. Ohterwise you risk that your home gets talk of ant town as a new "ant-restaurant" which is mainly visited during the night. If you already have to fight against the ants buy chinese chalk from the pharmacy. You draw barriers on the walls or other areas - especially there where you see ants intruding - with the chalk. Afterwards the ants avoid to surpass these lines and disappear.
- Geckos. Especially at night time and outside the house you might small lizard-like animals on the walls and ceilings of your home. They seem to be glued on the walls and cackle from time to time. Sometimes they advance extremely fast catching mosquitos or other small insects. These Geckos are harmless, useful helpers for your home helping to erase mosquitos which should not be cahsed away!
- Scorpions, centipedes. If you run around in Samui with closed shoes and put them outside on the terrace or elsewher overnight, you should look in your shows before you put them on or beat them to see what may fall out. It might not happen often, but if you are unlucky a scorpion or centipede has misused your shoes in the night as a hostel. You will not die when they sting you in your foot but it can be very painful if it happens. So avoid the confrontation and to the the doctor or the hospital.
- Snakes. If you want to meet a snake in Samui you will have to look actively in higher mountain or remote areas and most are harmless but some can be dangerous. Snakes would not actively attack you if they would not feel attackebd by you and see no other way out. If you nevertheless should meet a snake near your home or your garden, please do not attack or push the snake around. Just call the Samui Snake & Rescue Center at phone number: 0896 635 085.